Immigration LawNo words can describe your happiness and excitement! You and your fiancé will finally be tying the knot, and you have decided to live in Utah. But there’s a problem. Your fiancé is not a United States citizen and is currently living outside the country.

But as they say, love conquers all. This should not be an obstacle to marrying your special someone. Immigration attorneys in Utah’s Buhler Thomas Law, P.C. say you can work out all the legal requirements, starting with the visa, until your spouse gets a green card.

Petition for a Fiancé Visa

What you need first is to file for a visa petition with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The application requires a lot of documents, so having a lawyer on your side is a great help. This process can be a bit complicated if there are extraordinary issues involved, such as having been married previously or other legal limitations.

The USCIS will send you a notice informing you of the approval. The agency may then forward the petition for a visa to the U.S. embassy or consulate where your fiancé resides.

Getting a Green Card

The government will grant your fiancé the visa if everything goes well. At long last you get to marry your beloved. You may have to do this as soon as possible, since your fiancé’s visa is only good for 90 days. After you have the official marriage certificate, your spouse can apply for a green card.

Legal Assistance Vital All the Way

The entire process may appear simple, but in reality, this can be complicated and time-consuming. That is why many couples consider an attorney as indispensable in all those legal processes. With knowledge of the process, you can avoid any problems.

READ  Important Things You Need to Do After a Car Accident

Tags: , ,